As always we really look forward to seeing you all on the night, but please remember, (remember):
1) Not to bring sparklers, fireworks or bangers into the village or onto the Common as it is dangerous and against the law (yes, even the sparklers!).
2) LBS operate a no fireworks policy outside of our display. The discharging of rookies, bangers or other fireworks is not permitted before the procession, during it or in the public viewing area.
3) Please be considerate to local residents before, during and after our event.
We are busy putting the finishing touches in place for our event this weekend, and expect to be dipping our torches on Monday at our storage area.
Busy though we are, we will be taking some time out to go to Newick Bonfire Society’s night on Saturday 2nd November. This should be a great night out (we are keeping our fingers crossed on the weather) and there are bound to be a lot of people there, so best trun ups as early as possible. Advice from their website is that the roads, including the A272, will be closed from 6.30pm-11pm and there are very few places to park in the village.
Also, don’t forget that if you wish to wear your Lindfield Bonfire Society stripes or costume on the 5th and take part in the procession you must make sure your membership is paid up to date. We can accept your memebrship subscription at the latest on the day of our event, but please don’t leave it to late to do this!
With a procession round the village and so many people attending our event it will be no suprise to you that there will be road closures in place for the night.
Roads in the village will be closed from 6.30pm until 9.30pm.
Roads affected by these closures are:
– Lewes Road from the junction of Eastern Road, The High Street, Black Hill and Hickmans Lane.
– The High Street and Black Hill will be closed for the entire evening.
– Hickmans Lane will be closed will the procession is on and will re open once the procession has moved onto Lindfield Common.
– Traffic will then be diverted along Hickmans Lane while the High Street is closed.
– While Hickmans Lane is closed there will be no entry onto it from the following roads: Denman’s Lane, Brookway, Finches Park Road, The Welkin and Compton Road.
Traffic will be also diverted via Eastern Road, Luxford Road, Newton Road and Dukes Road due to the closure of Lewes Road. There will also be no entry onto Lewes Road from Chaloner Road.
It is advised that if travelling south towards Lindfield from Ardingly to go via College Road, Ardingly to avoid Lindfield and if heading North from Haywards Heath to use Summerhill Lane towards Ardingly to avoid Lindfield.
Lindfield Bonfire Society is a non-profit making organisation that works throughout the year to organise and host Lindfield Villages Bonfire Night celebration on the 5th November. This is a family friendly traditional village bonfire night, which is free to attend and takes place on Lindfield Common. Although it is not on the scale of Lewes, this is still a great event, with a fancy dress competition, a torchlight procession round the village with local organisations and visiting Bonfire Societies involved and finally a grand firework display on the Common after the traditional Bonfire Prayer.
As well as continuing a tradition that has been taking place in the village since 1894, Lindfield Bonfire Society also supports local children’s charities. This year the charities we are supporting are:
– Chestnut Tree House
– CLAPA (Cleft Lip and Palette Association)
– Woodlands Meed School
– Woodlands Meed Collage
– Orchard House
– Riding for the Disabled
– Burgess Hill Youth Marching Band
– Mid-Sussex Scouts
We hope you will all dig deep on the night of our event and donate generously to the collection buckets and tins.
During the day of the 5th the Guy will be outside Glyn Thomas and Son Butchers in the High Street, where we will also have a merchandise stall and the last copies of our 2013 Lindfield Bonfire Programme (don’t forget the colouring competition on the front).